Please fill in the form below and we will call you back.

GSI News

Get a quote

Why do you need specialist insurance if a home is unoccupied?

GSI Insurance

Specialist insurance is required for unoccupied homes due to the increased risks associated with properties that are vacant for an extended period. Here are some reasons why specialized insurance is necessary for unoccupied homes:

Increased Risk of Damage:

 Unoccupied homes are more susceptible to certain risks, such as vandalism, theft, fire, water damage, or structural issues. Without occupants present to regularly monitor and maintain the property, these risks can go unnoticed for longer periods, exacerbating the potential damage. Specialist insurance for unoccupied homes typically provides coverage for these specific risks.

Limited Maintenance: 

When a home is vacant, regular maintenance tasks may be neglected, leading to potential issues. For example, leaks, pipe bursts, or electrical problems may go undetected and worsen over time, resulting in extensive damage. Specialist insurance can help mitigate the financial impact of such incidents by providing coverage for repair and restoration costs.

Liability Concerns: 

Unoccupied homes can present liability risks. For instance, if someone enters the property without permission and gets injured, the property owner may be held liable. Specialist insurance for unoccupied homes can offer liability coverage to protect the homeowner in such situations.

Absence of Occupant Deterrents: 

Occupied homes often have deterrents in place, such as regular activity, security systems, or neighborhood watch. These factors can discourage criminal activities. In contrast, unoccupied homes lack these deterrents, making them more attractive targets for burglaries or vandalism. Specialist insurance can provide coverage for losses resulting from criminal acts.

Non-Standard Insurance Needs:

Unoccupied homes may require policy features that differ from standard home insurance. For example, an unoccupied home policy might include provisions for periodic property inspections, minimum security requirements, or conditions for maintaining utilities. These specific requirements are addressed by specialist insurance tailored to unoccupied properties.

It’s important to note that the specific terms and conditions of specialist insurance for unoccupied homes can vary among insurance providers. If you have an unoccupied home, it is recommended to consult with one of our insurance professionals who specialize in this area, we can ensure you have appropriate coverage for the unique risks associated with unoccupied properties.

Give us a call on 01227772775 and one of our advisors will be happy to assist you. 

Arthur – Philip Gowing written in conjunction with OpenAI.

Incredible deals, Great service. Get your insurance quote today!