Range Rovers tend to be more expensive to insure for several reasons:
- High value: Range Rovers are luxury vehicles with a high market value. Insuring a luxury car generally comes with a higher premium because the cost to repair or replace parts in case of damage or theft is typically more expensive.
- Repair costs: Range Rovers often have advanced technology, intricate systems, and specialized parts, which can increase repair costs. If the vehicle requires repairs after an accident, insurance companies may need to cover the expenses of these high-end components, contributing to higher insurance premiums.
- Theft risk: As discussed later in this post, Range Rovers are often targeted by thieves due to their high value. The increased risk of theft and the potential for expensive claims due to stolen vehicles can result in higher insurance rates.
- Safety features: Range Rovers are equipped with advanced safety features and technology. While these features can enhance driver and passenger safety, they can also increase insurance costs. If these features need repair or replacement after an accident, insurance companies may need to cover the costs, leading to higher premiums.
- Cost of ownership: Range Rovers are known for their higher maintenance and servicing costs compared to other vehicles. Insurance companies take into account the overall cost of ownership, including maintenance and repair expenses when determining insurance premiums.
- Driving statistics: Insurance rates are also influenced by the driving statistics associated with certain car models. If Range Rovers have a history of higher accident rates or more severe accidents, insurance companies may adjust their rates accordingly.
It’s important to note that insurance premiums can vary based on factors such as the driver’s age, location, driving record, and the specific insurance provider. Shopping around and comparing quotes from multiple insurers can help find the best coverage and rates for insuring a Range Rover. At GSI we have many years of experience in finding competitive quotes for difficult to insure vehicles such as Range Rovers and other high performance or luxury cars.
Why are they targeted so much?
Range Rovers are often targeted by thieves for several reasons:
- High value: Range Rovers are luxury vehicles with high market value, making them attractive targets for theft. The resale value of these vehicles can be quite lucrative on the black market, making them desirable for thieves looking to make a quick profit.
- Limited security features: Although Range Rovers come equipped with security features, they may not always be as advanced or effective as those found in other luxury vehicles. This can make them relatively easier to steal compared to some other models.
- Parts demand: Range Rovers are known for their quality and performance, and their parts are in high demand. Stolen Range Rovers can be stripped down, and their individual components can be sold separately, yielding significant profits for thieves.
- Export market: Stolen Range Rovers may also be targeted for the purpose of exporting them to other countries where they can be sold at a higher price. This can make it difficult to recover stolen vehicles, as they may be quickly moved out of the country.
What Can you do to reduce the risk of your Range Rover being stolen?
Here are some measures you can take to help reduce the chance of a thief getting away with your car:
- Use physical deterrents: Employing visible physical deterrents can discourage potential thieves. Consider using a steering wheel lock, a visible and robust immobilizer, or a wheel clamp. These devices make it more difficult for thieves to steal your vehicle, and their presence alone may deter them.
- Install a vehicle tracking system: A GPS-based tracking system can help locate your Range Rover in the event of theft. Many tracking systems offer real-time tracking and alerts, enabling you and the authorities to quickly recover the stolen vehicle.
- Park in secure areas: Whenever possible, park your Range Rover in well-lit, secure areas. Preferably, choose parking lots with surveillance cameras or monitored parking facilities. Avoid leaving your vehicle in secluded or high-crime areas, as it increases the risk of theft.
- Lock all doors and windows: Always lock your vehicle and close all windows when leaving it unattended, even for a short period. Thieves often look for easy targets, and an unlocked car presents an invitation for theft.
- Be cautious with key fobs: Protect your key fob from potential hacking or signal amplification attacks. Thieves can use sophisticated devices to amplify the signal from your key fob, allowing them to unlock and start your Range Rover. Consider using a signal-blocking pouch or container to prevent unauthorized access to your key fob’s signal.
- Install security systems: Consider adding additional security systems to your Range Rover, such as an alarm system or an immobilizer. These systems can deter thieves and provide an extra layer of protection.
- Be vigilant: Stay alert and aware of your surroundings. If you notice any suspicious activity or individuals near your vehicle, report it to the authorities. It’s better to err on the side of caution and take preventive measures.
- Review your insurance coverage: Ensure that you have comprehensive insurance coverage that includes theft protection. In the unfortunate event that your Range Rover is stolen, having appropriate insurance coverage can help mitigate the financial impact.
Remember, no security measure is foolproof, but by implementing these precautions, you can significantly reduce the likelihood of your Range Rover being stolen.
Despite all of the above issues there are still competitive rates out there to insure you Range Rover. If you have a Range Rover or other High performance or Luxury car get in touch with one of our experience advisors on 01227772775 today and we can help find you the most competitive option with the appropriate cover for your luxury car.
Arthur – Philip Gowing written in conjunction with OpenAI.